Every business has seen its fair share of ups and downs… and home staging businesses are no exception. Running a successful business is challenging in even the best of circumstances, and when the economy is as bad as it has been for the last several years, it can be downright discouraging.
Winston Churchill once said that “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” There is a lot of truth in that statement—but the reality is that it can sometimes be hard to find the energy to keep pushing on. Here are five principles to keep in mind.
1) Rely on your support network. Many home stagers are a one-man or one-woman shop. As a result, when you are feeling discouraged, there is nobody else to pick up the slack and keep the business moving forwards. It’s important that you don’t let yourself fall into this pattern. Make a point of sharing your concerns and your feelings with trusted family members and friends. A strong support network can make all the difference!
2) Understand that failure is a part of life. Michael Jordan was famously cut from his high school basketball team. JK Rowling was rejected by many publishers before one was finally willing to take a chance with the Harry Potter series. The list goes on and on, and the lesson is clear—you can’t expect every step of your journey to go perfectly.
3) Recognize that hard work DOES pay off. I’ve been in this industry for many years, and I can’t even count the number of times that I have seen home staging businesses achieve spectacular success after some initial struggles. If you consistently dedicate yourself to the planning and the work that building your business demands, good things WILL happen for you.
4) Remember how fortunate you are. Sure, your business may not YET be providing you with the six-figure income and the lifestyle you are hoping for. But have you ever considered how fortunate you are simply to have the opportunity to pursue your passion? There are plenty of people all around us that would love to have the opportunity to be in business for themselves and to wake up every day for a job that they truly enjoy.
5) Have confidence in your plan. If you don’t have a growth plan for your business, you absolutely need to create yours immediately. If you’d like help, please get in touch with me today! Once you have created your plan, it is important that you have confidence in it. If you have properly identified your target market, your channels for reaching them, and your system for closing the sale and delivering your services, you will achieve the results you desire. It doesn’t always happen overnight, but by maintaining discipline and continuing to execute your plan, you will overcome any difficulties that you may be facing.
As a business owner, it’s important that you are able to stay positive even when things are challenging. If you’d like more help in this area, please get in touch with me today!