Five Questions to Ask When You Can’t Get Around That Obstacle
Have you ever felt stuck? Or frustrated because no matter what you do, you can’t seem to get around that “brick wall”? If so, you’re not alone. This frustrating experience is part of running a business, and we’ve all been there. Over the years, however, I have discovered that there is always a way to get past the obstacle… the trick is discerning what that is. And the best way to start is by asking yourself this series of questions:
1) What am I truly frustrated about? The first step is to be sure that you’ve accurately identified your frustrations. You may, for instance, find yourself frustrated that a specific employee is consistently showing up late. But drilling down further into your emotions may reveal that you’re really upset because you’re not generating enough leads—and the employee is simply an opportunity to channel your frustration.
2) What do I need to accomplish? Once you’ve identified the heart of the matter, the next step is to clearly identify what you need to accomplish. Do this in concrete terms. (i.e. generate 5 more leads each month.)
3) Do I have the resources to get this done? Now that you know what you have to do, determine whether you have the resources it takes. If not, can you acquire them?
4) What do I need to learn? In some cases, you may not have the skillset you need to overcome your obstacle. If this is the case, identify the skill or technique that is lacking and go to work on it. You may discover, for instance, that you need to become more proficient with social media—or better at delivering your “elevator speech.”
5) Who can help me? And finally, if you’ve determined that you don’t have the resources or the knowledge necessary to solve the problem on your own, turn to others. You know what you need, now ask yourself who can help you acquire it. This may be a friend, a family member, a fellow professional, or a coach. Or it may be a staging course that we offer here at CSP® International.
The next time you find yourself “stuck”, pull out this list. You may not find an instant solution, but you will be able to come up with a plan for overcoming your obstacle!